Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumTRAINING TALK: ALL THINGS BDTInterval timers
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Interval timers

Page 1 of 2Next

Anyone use an interval timer to space out their burpees? I've been using the Android app "Interval Timer" which is great in that it lets you space each burpee out over 10 seconds... but it doesn't let you have more high intensity periods followed by rest periods. How's everyone else doing it?

The Original Busy Dad and MrH have reacted to this post.
The Original Busy DadMrH

I just use my stopwatch! I know Paul uses a metronome, which is an interesting approach.

MrH has reacted to this post.
MrH

I do use an interval timer quite often, when I'm not using the EMOM format. I'm an app designer, so I made my own custom version that allows me to utilize intervals that have decimal places. The rationale behind this is quite simple: for Navy Seals, if you do 1 rep every 12 seconds for 20 minutes, you will land up doing 100 reps. If you do 1 rep every 11 seconds, you will do 109 reps (with not enough seconds left for another rep) ... but strangely enough, the "jump" from 12 seconds to 11 seconds is actually quite a challenge.... so being able to do 1 rep every 11.5 seconds (104 reps total) is a decent interim step. Similarly, for 6-counts... 1 rep every 4.7 seconds will give you a total of 255 reps, while 1 rep every 4.5 seconds will allow you to do 266. Etc.

I am planning on extending the functionality to allow you to do "separate sections" of a workout, where you mix different speeds with periods of rest etc, but I've not had the time to site and figure that out yet.

Björn from Germany, Adam1337 and MrH have reacted to this post.
Björn from GermanyAdam1337MrH

Is the App for iOS or Android?

MrH

Are you asking me, Bjorn?  (sorry, don't know how to make my keyboard do an o with dots on it). The app I've made for myself would work on either Android or iOS, as it's coded to work on both platforms. The app is quite a long way from being "production ready" however, as I literally made it to solve an issue I was having personally and hadn't really considered making it publicly available. If I get the time to polish it up a bit and jump through all the hoops needed to make an app ready for the platform stores.

Incidentally, I also use this app to record all my sessions - just date, 6-counts or seals, reps and notes.... primarily so that I can see the weekly/monthly/yearly aggregates stats.

Björn from Germany and MrH have reacted to this post.
Björn from GermanyMrH

The timer app I use is Smartwod Timer on Google play.....it also has a workout log 😁

MrH
Quote from Keith Goddard on June 12, 2022, 8:57 am

Are you asking me, Bjorn?  (sorry, don't know how to make my keyboard do an o with dots on it). The app I've made for myself would work on either Android or iOS, as it's coded to work on both platforms. The app is quite a long way from being "production ready" however, as I literally made it to solve an issue I was having personally and hadn't really considered making it publicly available. If I get the time to polish it up a bit and jump through all the hoops needed to make an app ready for the platform stores.

Incidentally, I also use this app to record all my sessions - just date, 6-counts or seals, reps and notes.... primarily so that I can see the weekly/monthly/yearly aggregates stats.

Hey Keith, In the fullness of time, I plan to make a Busy Dad app.  It'd be awesome to have you involved with that process in some way when the time comes!

Paul from Oregon, MrH and jjKing have reacted to this post.
Paul from OregonMrHjjKing
Quote from BurpeeingScientist on June 11, 2022, 10:27 am

Anyone use an interval timer to space out their burpees? I've been using the Android app "Interval Timer" which is great in that it lets you space each burpee out over 10 seconds... but it doesn't let you have more high intensity periods followed by rest periods. How's everyone else doing it?

I used to just do my Burpees "as and when" but used to burn out quicker.

Then I was doing the 'follow along' videos from the busy dad YouTube which gave me more structure to the 20 minutes sessions and I increased my reps.

I use an interval timer app now and space them out. Definitely better for me.

Paul from Oregon and MrH have reacted to this post.
Paul from OregonMrH

Just tried SmartWod timer last night and it was useful. Looks like it has a lot of features and I'd like to set it up for 2 stages for sure. Did NS 3 per minute for the first 10 minutes and then slowed to 2 per minute but as I get a feel for my own pace I should be able to dial in the timing and slowly ad reps. The app looks to be pretty 'full-featured' but have to play with it a bit.

I use this one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comostudio.speakingtimer

MrH
Page 1 of 2Next

Subscribe
to our newsletter 
- coming soon

CONTACT FORM HERE...

Coming soon...
apartmentenvelope